Years ago, Beth Moore wrote a study called, “Living Beyond Yourself” in which she laid out the ten characteristics of a crucified life. Here they are.
- Few will understand.
- You must abandon your own will and your own agenda.
- Your intimate spiritual companions will be few.
- Intense times of aloneness with God are required.
- You will be constantly on the witness stand.
- You must go “outside the camp”.
- There will be times when your dignity is forfeited.
- You must forego your rights.
- You must accept that death is painful.
- Because He was forsaken, you never will be.
More mature Christians will understand what is meant by living a crucified life, while younger, less mature Christians will likely balk at the phrase. But we are, as Christians, most definitely called by God to live a life crucified to Christ. The Apostle Paul said,
I am crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives within me. Galations 2:20